<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: My encounter in Nara & Kyoto

Thursday, May 12, 2005

My encounter in Nara & Kyoto

After two days in Kyoto, I have been up about 7:30 am (6:30 in KL). Checking my mails on the net to see how Hitoshi has planned for me and some unfinished business at home. It's quite a spoiler that the trip itself I have to think about work too. Anyhow, that helps me be intact with my work.

It was a lousy day today because the rain has started pouring early in the morning. But, it did not deter my spirit of visiting Nara. I hopped on a train while enjoying the raindrops outside. Nara is a small town with 360,000 people. A compact city. I took JR West on the Miyakojima Express. It took me 40 minutes to arrive.

It was fun, despite the rain. I even had a deer munching my guide leaflet while I was posing for photos in front of Todaiji temple, the oldest wooden structure listed on UNESCO world heritage site.

The deer park is famous too. It is believed that deers are children of the god. All park visitors are forbidden to harm these creatures.

Kofukuji is five-storey pagoda is a place to visit too.

Here, I noticed that students from all over Japan have come to Kyoto or Nara on field trip to learn more about Japan. I even met up with primary school children having an English assignment of asking foreigners to respond to the questions, like "do you speak english?", "where are you from?". At the end of the interview, I have got little presents from them, like origami and book mark. They are lovely! I think the focus is on having Japanese children picking up language at a younger age. It was very well received. I am much more obliged to help since English is my second language too. Good effort!

Had a sumptous chagayu, famous rice in tea with some side dishes. It is delicious and exotic.

Since the rain poured much heavily, I have decided to head back to Kyoto for some more sightseeing. Met an uncle from Hokkaido, who has business dealings with JR. We went for tea at his hotel and I walked to Shijokawaramachi and Kamo gawa for a stroll.

There, I saw Maiko (geisha) walking along the stone-paved walkway. When the night falls, lot of men-in-black were out in action. These men in black are not the typical Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, but out to grab men to patron their prostitution service. At least something new.

Walked back to guesthouse and walked along Gojo street. From the place I stayed, I could see Kyoto tower at the end of the road. Then, something facinating caught my attention - hangind petrol pumps. It certainly saves place. I also noticed that the petrol price is at least 3 times more than Malaysia and it fluctuates based on daily market rate.

Call Japan safe, indeed it is. It even has an emergency button in the bathroom should there be assailants there. And the siren will be sounded, then followed by petrolling police. I accidentally pressed on the button, and the police came in and checked. Efficient indeed!

Walked back to my guesthouse and have a nice hot bath and chat a little with the gang at the lobby then head to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home