<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: My Adventure in Osaka

Sunday, May 15, 2005

My Adventure in Osaka

Dotombori Riverside Night Market and Food Bazaar

In comparison to Kyoto, Osaka has a wide network of efficiently linked subway. But, the trouble is that I have to walk from one end to the other when I wanted to switch to another line. That's really hectic. So far, I managed it perfectly despite the tiring run sometimes. A one-day pass really helps, and extra savings too.

I got the information I needed from the Information Center near the train station. It has been the greatest convenience I could get, and it's free consultation.

I woke up late today after a sound and uninterupted sleep yesterday. Anyway, it's Sunday!

I got myself up with a shower then I proceeded to Shintenoji, a famous temple downtown that was built by the prince. Nothing much to see though, but it surely has a beautiful garden on the east side of the temple.

Time is running late, as I need to rush to Osaka castle (see left) to see for myself what is installed in it. My expectation was high as I had been to Himeji two days ago. I was hoping for the better. Unfortunately, I was indeed disappointed for that this castle is a museum-like setting. Can't blame it much as it was a restored castle within the modern background of the city. At least it helps to explain some stories about Yoshitone and Tokugawa period.

From the guide book, I was attracted to Matsushita memorial museum which was located in the suburb of Osaka, where the brand National and Panasonic was setting its roots on. So, I took the slow train and for ages I arrived there to realise that it was closed. Right, on Sunday! Tough luck.

I then went ahead to the living museum of the olden and modern days of Osaka people. There house the original setting of the lifestyle of Osaka from the old to the modern. The famous landmark is the river and the Tsutengaku tower. It has been a really busy port since the olden days. Interestingly, I got to play some of the toys Japanese used to play when they were younger. Got myself some biscuits, mochi and postcards too for souvenirs.

When I got out the building, I met with Kachin, a thick specky guy that looks like a geek. Funny enough he was so "helpful" that his hands start to come by, which I strugged off most of the time. But when we arrived at this famous okonomiyake (jap pizza) at Kikusui shop, along the 2.6km shopping street, then he realised I am not local and he made excuse to go to the bathroom and never return. I was fortunate that it was a close encounter to a molester, strange yet interesting.

I had my share of fun at the Kikusui shop, where the waitress serve filling okomiyake.

Meeting with Kachin does not deter me for the rest of my journey. I then went on down south where the port is, and the ATC tower that houses the world trade center. The night scene from the port was breathtakingly beautiful. The city was so full of life and lights. Since it's near the port, the cold wind really does not give mercy to a helpless girl like me. It's really cold.

Time to head to another high-rise tower for a city night view. I then head to floating garden at Umeda. There, I met up with 4 Taiwanese and 4 students from local universities, where one of them is Swedes. Lovely view from the top, as I am on the top of the hustle shopping district in the center of Osaka, where everything come alive there. Lovely!

I remembered my friend Eonn once told me to head to Shinsaibashi to take a look. Well, it's almost mid night when I got there. Every shop has closed. While I was strolling there, I met up with some street buskers there, who are still performing. At least I was rewarded with some nice tunes while walking back to my hotel. I got to know them for a while, bought their CD and then head back to my hotel. On my way back, I have a near encounter with the men-in-black, as I was taking a shortcut and got lost. Luckily, I inquire from the shop and manage to walk back on the familiar street I was in. Phew~

Another hot bath and some MTVs and lights off! Very tiring day! Better get some sleep as I will be heading to Hakone for a view at Fujisan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home