<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: Chinese New Year celebration

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Chinese New Year celebration

As we urshered in the year of dog, expectation of the Chinese New Year (CNY) celebration would be a different affair altogether.

I must say visiting my uncles and aunts in the remote town of Pahang was very pleasant and wonderful. I just love to see my relatives' familiar humour and smiles when we greeted each other; good news of getting new family members to be added into the family tree; and of course it's great to know that my aunts cooked delicious dishes waiting for me to savour them.

I loved my uncle's "sha jiang", pounded ginger leaves used to flavour chicken dishes and my aunt's vegetarian "zai cai" the most every time I go back home. No wonder I have gained so much when I got back to PJ.

Chinese New Year has a different turn for me this year. I got a little impatient with the slow traffic, a bored celebration of staying at home eating, sleeping, watching television and nothing else to add to the list, and also low spirit of the chinese new year as compared to previous celebrations. Maybe doing the same thing over and over again does make my life bored afterall.

Travelling along the Karak highway and to my aunt's place in Telemong, Karak and Raub is far too different compared to those going north-bound and south-bound on North-South Highway. It is long winding road with lots of dangerous curves and corners, due to its hilly terrains when the forefathers cut through the mountains and virgin forest to pave for the road widely used now.

Along the journey, I enjoyed the green and lush scenery in Pahang. It makes me feel so pleasant and nice. I can still enjoy the cold mountain water flowing to every house's tap water, so cooling and refreshing, even though under hot weather condition. From that moment, I realised that some things are better leave it untouched for development. I think it pushes my button to travel every year to this mountaineous place not far from KL.

Family reunion dinner was shared on the eve of Chinese New Year, which this year happened to fall on a Saturday, 28th January. Meat dishes are a must in the chinese household (except vegetarians), some household prefer to have steamboat (mostly Hokkien families), and everyone will sit together on a round-table to savour the delicious delicacies on the table of shared joy and laughter.

On the first day of CNY, we would normally consume vegetarian "zai cai" to cleanse ourselves from yesterday's meaty dishes. It is normally cooked with "nam yu" (fermented beancurd). Ingredients of this wonderful vegetarian dish are: deep-fried Fu Chok (beancurd piece), ho si (dried oysters), mushrooms, mok yi (dried fungus), wan yi (another type of dried fungus), kam cham (yellowish vege), kam cham gu (one type of mushroom with petite yellowish mushroom head), dong fan (rice noodle - soh hoon), fat choy (dried vege looks like hair), nga bak (white stem leafy vege), oil and sauce for flavouring. It is very delicious with a change.

My aunt rear fish in her pond at her farm near the rubber plantation. I must say, her breed is similar to the size of the owner (my aunt) - GIANT! During our reunion dinner, my aunt served her gigantic fish, size of around 20 cm length x 10 cm tall, weighing around 4 kg, for dinner. Judging from the size, the first impresion of the meat was hard, but it was quite the opposite. It was fresh, meaty and really tasted smooth to our palate.

It was quite a memory collected though in such a short time. Chinese New Year is definitely all about great food and joyous companions to share with. I have both.

Time to bid my beloved relatives farewell after three-days of uninterrupted rest (some part of Pahang is out of reach for telco mobile line) and sumptious feast. Thank you very much for the lovely food and the warm hospitality.

I have got back home on the second day of Chinese New Year. My family and I went to a movie "The Shopaholic" in GSC, 1-Utama, after failing to secure the tickets for the show "Fearless", as it was completely sold out. The movie was good, I presumed Fearless to the best CNY show in 2006.

On third day to CNY, I visited my dear colleague, Chen's home in Klang and also pay a visit to my beloved choir teacher, Mdm Lim too. Chen's mom was very hospitable, and she had prepared delicious wan-tan noodle for lunch. I am so in luck! We had some moments of chat and a few craving for tid-bits like sauteed pork, chan dou (a kind of nuts), mandarin oranges and ground nuts.

At dinner, Mdm Lim treated steamboat near her place known as Teluk Pulai. We were in such a hurry to finish the dinner as she had received an emergency call from her sister of a stomach ache. But overall, we did enjoy the dinner.

Next week, I plan to visit my neighbour, Mrs Wong, during my university years in Malacca. Will be looking forward to seeing Mrs Wong's new home during this new year celebration.

Chinese New Year, a routine activity for me. I do enjoy the brief gathering of friends and family, savour delicious cooking and also sharing the joy in this happy occassion. May all of you enjoy this holiday season as much as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home