<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: What I learnt from Hari Raya

Thursday, October 26, 2006

What I learnt from Hari Raya

Whenever Hari Raya coms along, the immediate reaction from others would be: long holiday, government department closed, jam-packed on outstation traffic, great food of rendang and ketupat, and of course good friends and close-knit family to share the good holidays with.

The thing I enjoyed about Hari Raya is to see happy faces on everyone, being guests or hosts. I understand from my Muslim friends that whenever they have open-house, it is a sign of inviting good fortune, rezeki, as they called it. During these time, the host would be generously inviting everyone into their homes to catch up with old times, share wonderful cooking recipes and delicacies, and of course to make new friends along the way. What a good way to cherish and foster a close-knit relationship.

Being in a family of complicated parentage, I understand that my dad have never like guests to be in the house, as opposed to my mom who always make friends with her generous invitations. Maybe that's why we never have open-house like what my Muslim friends have during festive seasons. Maybe one day if I get a new place, I would throw open-house every now and then to invite friends over for a drink of celebration. I can imagine how nice it is to be when the time comes.

Also, Hari Raya does reflect a true forgiveness and gratefulness. On the first day of Hari Raya, every family member will ask for forgiveness from their elderly, siblings, spouse, or even children. It's a good way to reflect on oneself and improve from there. And, when one forgives, the value of gratefulness will come in, as they would cherish whatever they have: family, friends, shelter, transport, etc. Being grateful is the best thing a human could have.

I am so blessed with having great friends to share with in these joyous moments.

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri and thank you for inviting me into your lives. I am so thankful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home