<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: Mini Bas

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mini Bas

After searching for the mini bus photo, I realised there are other people who enjoyed a ride on these little creatures 10-15 years ago before Intrakota (now Rapid KL) replaced them in 1997.

I used to enjoy the ride on these mini buses. To me as a consumer, these mini buses' service were incredible. I must say they did provide speedy (I could get to KL town center within 15 minutes from my home; while Intrakota takes 30 minutes) and prompt service. It's a shame that the government has ceased their service, given excuses of reckless driving, and internal rivals. In fact, it was also a reason to bring in business for Intrakota as a sole government-linked bus operator besides other more competitive ParkMay and Metrobus. What is wrong for having a healthy competition among themselves as bus operators?

After mini buses operators were put out of business (which those mini buses operators owned those buses and worked as sole proprietors), many of them have their buses convert into Bas Kilang or school buses. Some of the drivers and ticket collectors have moved to Intrakota or Metrobus for job opportunities. In the end, the more competitive ones are sucked into the inefficient system of our transportation. What a waste of talent!

Bas Mini ~ those were the days

Oh, I still missed the good old days of our mini buses. I still remembered vividly the shouting from bus driver and ticket collector "masuk lagi, masuk lagi", even though the bus was jam-packed like sardines in the can. I sometime wanted to beat the time, and had to resort to standing at the stairs by the door. It's dangerous, but it was also an exciting experience. Because it is real packed, sometimes we have to beware of pickpockets.

Also, for school-going kids, I also enjoyed discounted off-the-book price, like 30 cents (normal price 50-60 cents), which you can never get on a full-fledged Intrakota. Furthermore, if you frequented the same bus over and over, the bus driver and ticket collector would recognise you. And, if you need to ride somewhere away from the bus stops when you see the bus coming, these good-will bus drivers would stop where you hailed them. Those were the personal touch you cannot experience now.

These unforgettable experiences I have had during my encounter with mini buses are very memorable. I can still reminisce with good smile on my face. Ah, those were the days~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home