<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: Medical Service in Comparison

Friday, April 17, 2009

Medical Service in Comparison

I was meeting with my friends who have been to Australia and the UK for study. From one of the our discussion of their encounters and experiences, I realised that Malaysia is having a much "friendlier" medical treatment (facilities and medical staff) than any of the two.

How could it be? Let's us look at a few real examples which took place (the blue is Malaysia's plus points):

1) Immediate attention to critical patients. White man's system requires prior appointment even though you are down will illness, and SOP is always given most priority (everything by the book) whereby Malaysian is more flexible;

2) Affordable medical services (RM1 for government clinics); my friend who was in Australia paid AUS54 just for consultation service;

3) One-stop center - consultation and pharmacy; Australia and the UK likewise, you will need to take your prescription in pharmacies, which may be far away from the doctors;

4) Satisfactory medical cleanliness; in operation theatre in Sdyney my friend worked at found cockroaches around (scary to have stereotype thinking of first class medical service);

5) Customer-oriented service; pregnant mothers were turned away by the same hospital they were registered in because the due date was early (real case with law suits in Australia);

6) Shorter queue. You thought you are waiting very long in the government hospital? Think again. My friend who was waiting in the hospital in London, though without many visitors also waited 2 hours.

I have never sought medical attention before in overseas, and it was facinating to me to note such shortcomings that these famous countries for medical services have. There's a sudden feel of "katak di bawah tempurung" in me and made me think it in a different light.

So, next time, if you think you are waiting for too long for medical attention at home, think again... the convenience (maybe unavoidable long queue at times), the affordable charges, the amiable medical staff, etc... so many good points which we overlooked. What more can we asked for.

5 Comments:

Blogger JOLIM said...

SY, are you comparing apple to apple?
I don't think you are given the full picture of the medical service in Malaysia or Australia. Anyway, are you referring to private or public service? I felt you have been presented with the 'best case scenario 'in Msia and 'worst case scenario' at overseas. Not a real representation!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Traveller who enjoys everything in life said...

Hi Chee Hooi, I am referring generally the public service that was gathered from my friends' sharing session (see first paragraph). My friends were in London and Sydney (still is).

Thanks for pointing out the worst case (overseas) + best case (M'sia). ~lol. I was actually highlighting the bad points gathered from my friends' experiences; and on my end, I add in the good points in comparison which I have overlooked when we seek medical service locally. Maybe it's the way I presented in the article that gives a "wrong/ stereotype" feeling to it. Sorry about that.

Furthermore, as Malaysians, we always think the grass is greener on the other side. But think deep again, ours are not that bad afterall.

Maybe you could enlighten me further on this, since you are there in Australia?

3:54 PM  
Blogger JOLIM said...

The surgery I had last year was done in a public hospital in Melbourne. The service was very good and I felt like I was being treated in a private hospital and I didn't need to pay anything ! A stark contrast from the level of care in the public hospital in KL such as the UH and GH which left a lot more to be desired!
Sean's mum and my mum were both treated in GH and UH respectively. It was horrendous!!! Their skill sets and competencies are questionable and there is no sense of urgency at all!! But i heard they have make some improvement since..but if your life is at risk...go else where if you can help it..

7:38 PM  
Blogger Traveller who enjoys everything in life said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful personal experience about Melbourne medical service. It is a good insight to gather more information to share a better view of the medical service around and do a really critical analysis.

But for this article, it's just on personal view.

Thanks for sharing. I do very much appreciate it.

See you soon in July!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Urology Surgery India said...

Great blog all the best

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home