<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: Tsukiji market: largest fish market in Japan

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Tsukiji market: largest fish market in Japan

I bet you are wondering why I am interest in this fish market. Well, I don't. But, at least I know that's where the freshess sushi is.

I was a bit lazy and I woke up at around 6:15 am. After getting advice from Frances that the auction is going to be out by 7am. I chose to be as laid back as I could.

Catched subway to Tsukiji market. The place is very interesting, even bigger than the PJ market I have seen in Old Town. Even trollers are motorised, zooming in and out. I was especially facinated with a traffic director in the middle of the road in the market area!

In the market, you could see those livestocks for sale. I have never seen so many gigantic and fresh fish my whole life. Some of them I have not seen before in my entire life. Unique yet exquisite. I have witnessed slaughtering of big tuna, and a unique "umi no oppa" (sea breast). So unusual. I wonder how it is cooked.

After some eye-opener at the market, next stop was breakfast. Sushi is very well known in Tokyo, especially with its fresh seafood there at the market. I was queueing up at the 4th famous sushi parlour, called Dai Wa.

At the entrance, I met two new friends. They are from Kusyu. We chatted until we were ushered in. I was so thrilled to see a mom-and-pop ambienced store such as this, and a sudden urge of greeting everyone in high spirit voice was nonetheless, overwhelmed to those unheard of for a long long time. "Ohayou Gozaimasu", I said in a high enthusiastic tone. Everyone at the store just stopped and looked up, followed by grins and smiles. I was delighted!

Obasan was teasingly said I am too "genki" for such a great morning. And I just nodded. Then, I asked the two new friends about the menu, and they said just let the sushiya-san makes the introduction. "osusume kudasai", I said. That was it. Seven different sushi were served, including tuna, prawns, sea urchins, squid, and some maki too. They are so fresh and delicious! It's quite filling for breakfast. I feel great!

At the same counter, there was this young fellow, who is coincidentally from kushu too explained some of the sushi I had. He speaks much fluent english than the other two. I was surprised. He revealed that he was in LA, USA for sometime, so he is quite used to it. That's explain.

So, Tokyo is not such a bad place. I mean, maybe the people I met are not from Tokyo, so makes them nicer people to talk to. I am glad that so far in my journey, I have met great people, kind people that had rendered a helping hand to me. I am really grateful to them.

Market is a merry place for every people from all walks of life. What's more a fish market that is unique and familiar. I am fortunate to be part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home