<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: Yokohama: the port

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Yokohama: the port

Yokohama is famous for its port as it is by the sea, similar to Kobe or even Osaka. However, it has never really taken flights as the other two sister cities.

Another unplanned trip. Well, make the full fun of it. In Yokohama, there are three things you can't miss: Chinatown, Yokohama Landmark Tower and of course the Ramen Museum.

In Chinatown, a stone-throw away from the station has been the biggest Chinatown. There, you could hear familiar mandarin or even chinese dialects, that you felt home. I truly believe that every part of the world with economy activiites, you will find Chinese. I was there early in the morning. Since I am not fancy chinese food here, so, just got some grapefruit and prawn crackers and walked along this replica of China.

After strolling there, I took train to the town center for a Ramen tour. It's funny that it has a dedicated Ramen museum which charges you entrance fee. I guess anywhere you go, you pay. The background of the ambience was set during the time of showa period. I felt like I was in this time machine that goes back in time. The mood was teriffic.

I decided to try the Hokkaido ramen. It was a mistake, as I felt it was too oily for me. There, I met a young fellow from Saitama, who was with his friends for a visit to Yokohama. Nice to chat with.

Looking at my watch, it was already in the afternoon. Better rush to Tokyo to get my things checked in to Tama Ryokan. The inn was run by a couple in Shinjuku near Takadababa station.

By now, my luggage is getting bigger. I then realised that I like Kansai better. Why? Well, for a start, at least it's more disable friendly, or should I say, more heavy luggage friendly. I have higher expectation for Tokyo as it is metropolitan and supposed to be more friendly in the amenities. I was truly disappointed.

So, I have to haggled my luggage with me all the way to Tama Ryokan. So, when I finally arrived, I was so relieved. But then again, I have to get on some steps before to the door. Note to self: leave luggage at coin locker.

Ms. Eiko, the host lady was there to receive me. Looking at my heavy bag, she has decided to let me occupy the room downstairs, instead of the room she had cleaned. I must thank her for her warm hospitality and the effort she had for me when she cleaned the room downstairs. Thank you very much.

The sky was pouring when I got there. Had a bath and took a rest, watching TV programme and video. At around dinner, I took subway to the heart of Shinjuku to see for myself how's a metropolitan looks like when night falls.

I began to feel clausterphobic, for I have never seen so many people crossing the street at the same time.

There is a sudden wind blowing carrying some pollant. I heard from Cassy that Tokyo was having some pollant disease or something during our conversation in Kyoto. So, I believed that's what got into my eyes.

As I was munching my McD along Kabuki street, I was approached by a young fellow in white jacket (similar to the men-in-black), talking Japanese to me. With my beginner Japanese, I began to follow what he was trying to say. I ignored him instantly and walked on. He was persistent and kept following me still talking in Japanese. After he said "kyumi ga nai?", then, I just turned my back and in English, "sorry, what did you say?" As he was astonished and taken aback, as he was expecting answers in Japanese. He had made a mistake and apologised then walked off. Phew~ another close encounter. Do I look desperate or even Japanese to these people? I really don't know. Well, on a brighter note, at least I have potential market there. Guys, bring it on! ~giggle~

That's not the end of it. I was standing at this old kabukiza, which has turned into an entertainment outlet with cinema and theatre. At one corner, there is this square overlooking a giant outdoor screen with "The Queen: Live in Theatre" commercial on display. I was still there munching my McD fries. Guess what? An old uncle, a salaryman after work looking for fun, approached me and asked "nihonjin?". I just shook my head. Sarcastically, I just walked over to him, tapping his shoulder to tell him to look for others for assistance. He just shrugged his shoulder and went off. Hahahaha~ What a joke!

I felt a sudden shudder and I sat there finishing my fries and I walked back to the station. On my way back, I met a kind aunty who is more willing to walk to the station with me. A sudden comfort set in. I was even relieved when I arrived at the ryokan safely!

Shinjuku, the heart of everything in Metropolitan. It does not interest me at all. Funny people walking on the street, with men-in-ties too, not to mention, ladies with thick make-up. I don't seem to fit into any of these. It's total madness. How I wish I was at other place outside the city, a quiet serene place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home