<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: My Last Day in Japan

Sunday, May 22, 2005

My Last Day in Japan

Waking up early in the morning after yesterday's night talk with Takano Otousan.

It's good to see every member back, especially Nozomi, the eldest daughter of Takano family. She has just got back from her Hokkaido trip. She gave me Special Edition Kit Kat from Hokkaido - melon flavour, for present.

We had breakfast together, and we had rice with seaweed and mame tofu soup. Yum~

Takano Otousan gave me a book "Japan - the land & its people". With due respect,I am very impressed with him, as he reminds me of my own brother, who is a studious person with details and lots of intensive reading. I highly admired these people.

After breakfast with the family, we have had a family potrait at their beautiful garden, together with ojiisan and obaasan. It's a pretty sight!

In Nagano, it bears a history to the mystery of the road to paradise. That's why, I went to Zenkoji with Otousan and Nozomi-ne san.

I bidded my farewell with grandparents and Takano Okaasan and went on with our trip.

In Zenkoji, we went in for praying. Today is Wesak, no wonder there are some ladies dressed in beautiful kimono here. Otousan paid for the fee to enter the chamber of secret - the passage to paradise.

Inside the passage of paradise, it is in total darkness. When I mean darkness, it's really like you can't see a single thing, even with your eyes opened. Using your right hand to navigate around, at the corner, you could feel the olden days padlock. That is the door to paradise. Mysterious ...


We then strolled along the ishi-tatami while viewing Nagano town from uphill. Beautiful.

Takano Otousan brought me to this Shichimi shop, selling spices. He got me a souvenir, sichimi. Thank you, Otousan!

Had to depart to my last stop of Japan, Nagoya. Farewell to Takano family and their warm hospitality.

Embarking on a new journey bound for Nagoya at 9:54 am. Need around 2 1/2 hours to arrive. It's an exciting adventure so far, despite what has happened yesterday. A journey does begin after all.

Nagoya is the home to Toyota, one of the world largest car manufacturer. Nagoya is currently hosting the Aichi Expo. I heard from a foreigner about the Aichi Expo, but not intended to go there. Why? One, cost; two, time.

I don't know why I am so attracted to Japan's castles. I think it's the majestically built structure with big beautiful garden that facinated me. That is why, I am going to Nagoya castle.

It was raining today, not as fun I thought. Worse, I have left my umbrella at the train station. Too late to redeem it.

Today, Nagoya castle has a special event, Gold Satchi, opened for viewing and touching. That's why the entrance fee is 1000 yen instead of the normal 500 yen.

Gold satchi, or commonly known as gold dolphine, is an auspicious animal that grace the rooftop of the castle, similar to dragon for Chinese. It is believed to bring good luck to the person that touches it. Today, I have the chance like any other Japanese to touch it for the first time. And I must say, it is really a huge gold statue. No wonder during the olden days, theives are at large to steal the pair of gold satchi.

Nagoya has a famous noodle, called Kishimen, a flat noodle that resembles "ban min" (cantonese). Very delicious. I even got myself Nagoya Omiyage, ebi senbei prawn crackers.

Well, had gathered enough Kantou souvenirs for Hitoshi, as a gratitude to his hospitality in Kobe. So, to Kobe I go!

I left Nagoya around 4 pm, reaching Kobe around 7pm +. Had to use my memory to remember the route to his house as he was not picking up his phone.

The whole day was raining. I can feel that it is a sign telling me that it's sad to leave this place, but happy memory must come to an end, somehow. Yes, indeed.

I was glad that Madam Nagano was in and I passed the souvenirs to her. She insisted to walk me to train station, and I am glad. She is such a kind lady. Thank you very much!

Embarking a journey back to Kansai, I would say relieved. I realised I like Kansai so much better and I feel I was at home once again.

Tonight, it will be my last stay in Japan. I am now back to where I have first departed from, Kyoto. I am glad there is room for me that night. Though the same guesthouse which I have departed from, but the room mates and the feeling of closeness has never been the same as I have had two weeks ago.

Had a little chat with Eiji. Had introduced him Tama Ryokan in Shinjuku. I am glad that he noticed my improvement in Japanese. I am proud too. I am glad to make it so far all by myself, of course, with the help of the people along my 13-day journey around Kansai, Kantou and Nagano. It has been great knowing you all. And, I wanted to say: THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

It was really tired, and I dosed off quietly.

Tomorrow, is Home Sweet Home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home