<bgsound src="http://www.ijigg.com/songs/V2BFBCGCPAD" > My Big Big Adventure: Nagano: My second day

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Nagano: My second day

"Located at the very center of Honshu Island, Nagano is the most mountainous prefecture of Japan and owns many excellent skiing resorts. For that reason Nagano has been chosen to organize Winter Olympics in 1998."

From that moment, Nagano was on the map of the world. Little did I know this until I found out further from my guidebook.

I met Toshiko, Satoshi's youngest sister during breakfast. We had a western breakfast, with egg, asparagus and strawberries, all from their farm. First time trying Nato, beans fulled of vitamins and mineral. Delicious.

I went out to the train station with Satoshi. He had this serious look on his face. I got the answer when he asked subtlely about my whereabout tonight. I told him I will figure a way to it. I felt hurt.

Never let little things to deter my enjoyment to the journey, I looked forward to my next journey - Matsumoto, downsouth of Nagano town.

From the guidebook, I read about Matsumoto and its dark-coloured castle. Wanted to see it. Taking the train took me one and half hour to arrive. I reached there around 9 am, where the tourist information center was not yet opened. Luckily enough, there are brochures and pamphlets for reference.

I got myself a one-day bus from the tour bus driver. And head straight on to Matsumoto castle.

Arriving to the "crow castle", met with a couple from Saitama. It was Megumi (wife)'s birthday, and he was so sweet to bring her along for a short trip.

I went along with them on the castle tour. During our trip, Koji (husband), was kind enough to explain to me about Matsumoto castle. From there I knew that I have visited one of the four oldest original castles in Japan. I was so proud.

We then walked to the old sake brewery building at Nawatemachi. Along the street of Nawatemachi, I noticed that the buildings are painted in white, instead of the usual black from the castle. So black-and-white.

Wanting to get the omiyage at Kaiundo, one of the oldest store in Matsumoto. It is famous for its manju, a sweet dessert with red bean paste. It is called "kore umai" (literally means this is delicious). Got two separate bags for Megumi and Koji for a thank you gesture.

I felt so acquaited by them and I went on a road trip to Swiss winery farm and the largest Japanese Wasabi Farm, Dai-O Wasabi.

The wasabi is large, and it's like a highway linking to nowhere. It is situated at a secluded area free from pollution. Even the rivers that run through the farm is crystal clear. From Koji's explanation, I understand that in order to having a healthy plantation of wasabi, it needs clean water.

We also had wasabi ice-cream that does not taste like one, worth a try. Well, Shinshu soba as well. FYI, "Shinshu" is the old name for Nagano. Not sure how it got the name changed.

I am grateful that we have had this roadtrip together. Thank you.

I then got a train back to Nagano station, then took a bus back to Matsushiro station, where I got lost.

I then inquired from a nearby convenient store, and I realised that the Takano family lives in a very very remote place. I was lucky to meet up with a lady, Akiko-san.

I was relieved to see Takano okaasan when we arrived there. As a gratitude gesture to Akiko-san, she gave her mikan from her farm. I really appreciate that, thank you!

I am glad to be at "home".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home